Martha M. Newman, J.D., president of Top Lawyer Coach LLC, is a lawyer coach and consultant who helps high-achieving lawyers develop the communication, business development, professional presence, and leadership skills necessary to grow their practices, make transitions, and avoid costly mistakes that can torpedo legal careers. Her work with clients is outcome-oriented with a focus on achieving tangible, business results and personal fulfillment for her clients as well as eliminating self-defeating habits that can damage career advancement.
Martha Newman is one of a select group of lawyer coaches in the country holding the prestigious Professional Certified Coach credential (PCC) awarded by the International Coach Federation for excellence and extensive experience (750 or more coaching hours) in the field of coaching.
The PCC is the only credential one should consider as necessary in choosing a attorney career coach and is akin to holding a law license.
Having received her coaching training from the Graduate School of Management at the University of Texas at Dallas, Martha is now employed on a part-time basis by the university as a Coaching Instructor coaching executives pursuing their EMBA degrees on career advancement, leadership and conflict resolution.
She was formerly a business attorney, TV news anchor, and Zoning Commission Vice-Chair. Her corporate work experience is in the fields of sales training, public relations, and advertising.
Prior to opening her coaching/consulting business, Martha practiced civil law with an emphasis on contracts, oil & gas, and business litigation. She earned her J.D. degree from the University of Texas School of Law and her Bachelor of Broadcast Journalism degree from the University of Missouri School of Journalism.
Representative Corporate Clients
Examples of corporate and professional clients provided consulting and coaching on strategic planning, team-building, leadership, executive presence, career advancement, business development and transitions:
1. Nokia Systems and Networks (Facilitated/coached Nokia’s 2014 Strategic Marketing Planning Meeting for use in the U.S. and Canadian markets.)
2. Morgan Stanley/Dallas region (5 top tier female financial brokers & operations manager)
3. Tektronix Communications, Inc. (Senior Marketing Manager, Richardson)
4. Six Flags Over Texas (Senior Director: HR, employee benefits, compensation)
5. Alvarez & Marsal, Taxand, LLC: (Senior Director of Compensation and Benefits)
6. Availty (Chief Innovation Officer for the nation’s largest health information network)
7. Chubb Group of Insurance Companies (In House Litigation Manager)
8. Cisco Systems, Inc. (Senior Account Manager)
9. National Casualty Insurance Company (Chief Legal Officer in Austin office who supervises eight attorneys)
10. North American Coal (Plant Manager, Mississippi)
11. Sanford, Baumeister, & Frazier LLP (2 partners in CPA firm with offices in Fort Worth and Dallas)
12. Weaver (2 Senior Directors in CPA firm’s Dallas office)
Representative Lawyer Clients
Examples of law firm attorneys and in-house counsel provided coaching/consulting on business development, communication, team-building, career advancement, leadership, professional presence and transitions
1. Akerman, Senterfitt (national firm): (Los Angeles Partner in Construction Law).
2. Akin, Gump (Dallas: Senior Associate in Corporate, Securities section).
3. Alexander, Dubose and Townsend (largest appellate boutique in Texas).
4. Baker Botts (Dallas): Shareholder in M&A section
5. Cantey, Hanger (Fort Worth): Litigation partner.
6. Curran, Tomko, Tarski (CTT Dallas): Five shareholders/ four associates.
7. Dykema (national firm): Los Angeles Partner in IP section.
8. GC of large, real estate investment company in Frisco, TX.
9. Meadows, Collier (5 partners/10 assocs. in premier tax boutique Dallas)
10. Munck, Carter (Dallas) Shareholder in Litigation Section, Executive Committee Member.
11. Novation, LLC (General Counsel/Executive V.P., 2 AGC’s, 1 Sr. Counsel, 4 legal counsel). Novation is the leading contract servicing company for the U.S. healthcare industry.
12. Shannon, Gracey (Fort Worth). (Two partners in commercial litigation)
13. Thomas Guise Solicitors. Partner Director of three-city law firm in UK
14. Whitaker, Chalk (Fort Worth): Partner and former Vice President/Deputy GC of Alcon, Inc.
15. Wilson, Elsner (national firm): Dallas Partner in Insurance Coverage.